DAVID W. THOMASON
I have a Masters Degree from Capella University in Marriage and Family Therapy and am a Washington State Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Associate working at the Living Success Center in Oak Harbor, WA.
I successfully retired as a Navy Master Chief with 24 years of service and am a veteran of the 1991 Gulf War, the 1999 Kosovo Campaign, and the Global War on Terror. I served as Chief of Police for Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, WA, from 2000 to 2005. From 1993 through 1996, I was the Curriculum and Testing Officer for all Navy Law Enforcement Schools, managing the development, implementation and tracking of all courses and testing materials as well as the development and certification of the instructors. While serving on active duty I certified as a Master Training Specialist and in April of 2008 I became the first civilian to become certified as a Master Trainer.
I am the father of twins sons who were diagnosed with Autism at the age of five and became a single father when they turned 9 until I remarried four years later. The experiences I have had through both my personal and professional life have exposed me to so many life lessons and have provided me so many opportunities for growth and inner strength. It is in this strength and the help and support of a loving family, loyal friends and good people who wanted nothing but to help, that has given me a perspective on life that I believe I was meant to share with others. Being a husband and father, having served in the military and having been a police officer, fire fighter, counselor and educator has given me a unique and singular view on life that I enjoy sharing with others. If I were asked, "What is the secret of life?" my answer can be found in how we answe the following question, "What would you rather be, happy or right?" Happiness is a choice, I hope you make it.
My approach to therapy is primarily through a solution-focused orientation in which I believe that all people have the means to improve their situation but may need assistance in discovering their hidden, forgotten, or as yet undiscovered strengths. Much of my current work is in helping those who have individuals with special needs in their family to realize a full and happy life with all members finding their ultimate potential and happiness.
Community Support and Service:
- Member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, Washington Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, and Chi Sigma Iota.
- Member of the Rotary International, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Fleet Reserve Association, Fraternal Order of Police, and the Retired E9 Association.
- Past President, Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge #18
- Past President, Oak Harbor Police Department Community Advisory Board (CAB)
- Past President, Island County Mobilization Policy Board (CMP)
- Past Chairman, Island County Community Health Advisory Board (CHAB)
- Past President, Citizens Against Domestic and Sexual Abuse (CADA)
- Past Zone Representative, Washington State Critical Incident Stress Management Network (CISM)
- Member, Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce